Supernatural Lacquer - Once Upon a Villain (Reimagined) Collection



Once upon a time, in a land far away lived a girl who had a small nail polish collection. For years and years she only knew of mainstream and drugstore polish and she felt pretty ho-hum about the choices.  And then one day, as she was spending some time in the magical land of the internet, she tumbled across the world of indie nail polish. 

Just in case you didn't know..... that girl? That girl is me. Back when I was new to indie nail polish, in a group I saw a blog post about a brand that I had heard of but owned none - Supernatural Lacquer.  It was for the Once Upon a Villain collection and I loved them all so much that I bought the entire set.  Imagine my delight when I was contacted by Stefanie to blog for her and especially when I found out there was going to be a remastered version of this collection with a brand new addition!!  Okay, enough blabbing and let's get to why you're here!  Swatches.....

Fairest One of All


Fairest One of All is described as a black base with purple to blue shimmer and metallic red microglitter.  STOP THE PRESSES!  I am not much one for black nail polish but I have always said if one brand can make me want a black polish it's Supernatural Lacquer.  This polish has rocketed itself into the top three polishes I love by SNL ever.  EV-ER! 



I used two thin coats for the swatches you see in these pictures. When I compared these new polishes to their older versions, it is really obvious how hard Stefanie has worked on perfecting her formula over the years.  I always found her polish really great (I mean, I buy pretty much everything she makes) but when having older ones to compare you can see the work she's put in there. Easy application, perfect formula, amazing polish.  You NEED this one!


God of the Dead


God of the Dead is described as a teal to royal blue to purple at extreme angles with electric blue microflakes, turquoise microflakes, and a semi-linear holo. My camera fought to capture the shift even though it was noticeable in person. The holo flare is strong and I really enjoyed this polish.  It reminded me of a Caribbean ocean.  



I used two thin coats for the swatches you see here. I always find holo polishes like this to dry quickly and by the time I was adding the second coat, the first coat was already dry. Total bonus because no worries about dragging or patches.  Beautiful application and formula.


Magnificent, Marvelous & Mad



Magnificant, Marvelous & Mad is described as pink-purple-blue multichrome in a pink-taupe leaning base with purple-red-gold colour shifting flakes.  This is the new addition to this collection. Guys, there is just so much good going on in this polish!  On me, it leaned hard to the purple side except when I was outside in natural light and then it looked like a muted pink.  I love when polishes are chameleons like this.  Just a really understated beauty of a polish.


I used three really thin coats for opacity.  I would consider this a jelly-creme hybrid polish so I allowed some dry time between coats so that I didn't get dragging.  This is a muted beauty that is unique in my collection.



Mistress of All Evil



Mistress of All Evil is a blackened indigo purple base with a subtle green to purple shimmer, green illusion flakes, purple metallic micro flecks, and a touch of scattered holo. You know what I said about black polish above?  Supernatural Lacquer is the same for me with blurple polish, too. The details are just so perfect.


Again, I needed two smooth and easy coats for opacity of this polish.  The flakes in this are just so perfect and it was nice and shiny even without a topcoat. I took a photo of the bottle because it best reflected what was visible on the nail.  The camera really wanted to keep the details hidden.



Sorceress of the Sea



Sorceress of the Sea is described as a light grey crelly base with blue to purple shimmer, purple metallic microflecks, blue-aqua-violet UCC flakes and black flakes.  This polish is the most unlike its previous version and it's my choice for dark horse of the collection.  The shimmer is subtle enough but still there and the added extra of the black flakes just gives it that extra unnnnnnnnnnf.


I expected this one to need three coats for opacity but NOPE.  Two coats and it was good to go. Great application and the formula I have come to love.


The Devil Wears Spots



The Devil Wears Spots is described as a white crelly base with black and opal glitter mix, red micro shards, red micro glitter, and a slight touch of scattered holo.  This polish brings me back to my early indie polish days when these glitter crellies were all the rage.  There is something nostalgic about a polish like this and it perfectly represents the villain after which it was inspired.


I needed only two coats to get the coverage you see here.  I worried about VNL but didn't need to. Totally opaque in two coats.  I did let the coats dry for a few minutes in between to ensure the glitter and shards didn't drag.


And there you have the swatches for the re-imagined collection of Supernatural Lacquer's Once Upon a Villain.  These beauties will be available tomorrow, March 9, 2018, at 9pm est for the cost of $56/set.  They will be priced individually based on finish.

Which ones are you adding to your list?  My picks are Fairest of the All and Sorceress of the Sea, though I am happy to have them all in my collection!



Supernatural Lacquer


1 comment

  1. Mistress of All Evil and Sorceress of the Sea are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete